VJ Books Presents Arturo Perez-Reverte!
Arturo Perez-Reverte was born November 25, 1951 in Cartagena, Spain.
He worked as a war reporter for twenty-one years (1973 - 1994). He started his journalistic career writing for the now-defunct newspaper Pueblo. He then moved on to news reporting for TVE, Spanish national channel. As a war journalist he traveled to several countries, covering many conflicts. He put this experience into his book 'Territorio Comanche', focusing on the years of Bosnian massacres. That was in 1994, but his debut as a fiction writer started in 1983, with 'El hÏsar', a historical novella inspired in the Napoleonic era.
In 1988, Perez-Reverte made his name as a serious writer of historic novels. That was confirmed in 1996, when was published the first book of his Captain Alatriste saga, which has been his trademark. After this book, he left journalism to focus on his career as a fiction writer.
Apart from these, he also penned other successful works like Dumas Club and Flandes Panel.
He has been a member of the Royal Spanish Academy since 2003. Since April 2016, Perez-Reverte has been editor and cofounder of the website, Zenda.
Arturo Pérez-Reverte Bibliography
Captain Alatriste Series
El Capitán Alatriste - 1996
- Limpieza de Sangre - 1997 (tr: Purity of Blood)
- El Sol de Breda - 1998 (tr: The Sun over Breda)
- El Oro del Rey - 2000 (tr: The King's Gold)
- El Caballero del Jubón Amarillo - 2003 (tr: The Cavalier in the Yellow Doublet)
- Corsarios de Levante - 2006 (tr. Pirates of the Levant)
- El Puente de los Asesinos - 2011 (tr: The Bridge of Murders)
- El Húsar - 1986
- El Maestro de Esgrima - 1988 (tr: The Fencing Master)
- La Tabla de Flandes - 1990 (tr: The Flanders Panel)
- El Club Dumas or La Sombra de Richelieu - 1993 (tr: The Club Dumas)
- La Sombra del águila - 1993
- Territorio Comanche - 1994 (tr: Comanche Territory)
- La piel del tambor - 1995 (tr: The Seville Communion)
- Un Asunto de Honor - 1995
- La Carta Esférica - 2000 (tr: The Nautical Chart)
- La Reina del Sur - 2002 (tr: The Queen of the South)
- Cabo Trafalgar - 2004 (tr: Cape Trafalgar)
- El Pintor de Batallas - 2006 (tr: The Painter of Battles)
- Un Día de Cólera - 2007 (tr: A Day of Cholera)
- Ojos Azules - 2009
- El Asedio - 2010 (tr The Siege)
- El Tango de la Guardia Vieja - 2012
- El Francotirador Paciente - 2013
- Hombres Buenos - 2015
- What We Become - 2016 (U.S. edition of El Tango de la Guardia Vieja)
- Obra Breve - 1995
- Patente de Corso - 1998
- Con ánimo de Ofender - 2001
- No me Cogeréis Vivo - 2005
- Cuando éramos Honrados Mercenarios - 2009
Arturo Perez-Reverte Awards
- Premio Gregor von Rezzori Award for Foreign Fiction Translated into Italian - 2008
- Dagger Award - 2014
Go to top of page