VJ Books Presents Author David Housewright!
David Housewright was born in St. Paul, Minnesota in 1955. He started writing fiction at an early age, aided by a small hand-crank printing press bestowed upon him by his parents. He wrote for and edited his “all boys Catholic military high school” newspaper until he was fired for printing a piece opposing the Vietnam War, an anti-war editorial. He didn't let this stop him, however, and went on to write for the Minneapolis Tribune while he earned degree in Journalism from the University of St. Thomas.
After graduation, Housewright continued working in journalism as a reporter for the Albert Lea Evening Tribune and later the Grand Forks Herald, among others.
Housewright eventually transitioned into advertising, and worked as a copywriter and creative director for several prominent Twin City agencies on a number of national accounts such as Federal Express, 3M, Jim Beam, Hormel Foods and the California Institute of Technology. His work earned him both a CLIO and One Show award.
While working at his own firm, Gerber/Housewright Advertising, he decided to get back to his childhood passion for fiction. His first novel, Penance, won the 1996 Mystery Writers of America Edgar Award for Best First Novel. After the publication of Penance, Housewright sold his share of the company to his partner and became a full-time novelist. Since then, he has published numerous short stories and twenty novels. He was President of the Private Eye Writers of America from 2014-2015. He also works as a freelance writer and occasionally teaches at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis.
Housewright lives in Roseville, Minnesota with his wife, writer and theater critic Renee Marie Valois.
David Housewright Bibliography
Holland Taylor Series
Penance - 1995
- Practice to Deceive - 1997
- Dearly Departed - 1999
- Darkness, Sing Me a Song - January, 2018
- First, Kill the Lawyers - January 2019
Rushmore McKenzie Series
- A Hard Ticket Home - 2004
- Tin City - 2005
- Pretty Girl Gone - 2006
- Dead Boyfriends - 2007
- Madman On A Drum - 2008
- Jelly's Gold - 2009
- The Taking of Libbie, SD - 2010
- Highway 61 - 2011
- Curse of the Jade Lily - 2012
- The Last Kind Word - 2013
- The Devil May Care - 2014
- Unidentified Woman #15 - 2015
- Stealing the Countess - 2016
- What the Dead Leave Behind - 2017
- The Devil and the Diva - 2012 – written with Renee Valois
- Finders Keepers - 2012
- Kids Today (Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, July 1999)
- “How To Trick Any Woman Into Having Sex” (aka The Sultan of Seduction True Romance Magazine, April 1999)
- A Domestic Matter (The Silence of the Loons, 2005)
- Mai-Nu’s Window (Twin Cities Noir, 2006)
- Miss Behavin’ (Resort to Murder, 2007)
- Last Laugh (Once Upon A Crime, 2009)
- Time of Death (Deadly Treats, 2011)
- Obsessive Behavior (Writes of Spring, 2012)
- A Turn of the Card (Fifteen Tales of Murder, Mayhem and Malice From the Land of Minnesota Nice, 2012)
David Housewright Awards
- 1996 Mystery Writers of America Edgar Award Winner Best First Novel for Penance
- 1998 Minnesota Book Award for Practice to Deceive
- 2010 Minnesota Book Award winner for Jelly's Gold
- 2013 Minnesota Book Award winner for Curse of the Jade Lily
Go to top of page