You are here: Home > Resources > Ask John! > Book Features > Why does my book have uneven page edges?
Dear John:

The pages of my book are un-evenly bound and look pretty ragged. Why?

Abe (Texas)

John responds:

The type of binding your are referring to is intentional, and called "deckled" edges. They are common and even desirable, to make the books look old and more valuable. Until the 19th Century all books were printed this way on hand-made paper. See John's response to a similar question here.


Here's an example of "deckle edge" paper:

Ask John at:

Read articles about book collecting
Read John's answers to book collecting questions
Receive our Book Collecting PDFs and newsletters

Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Facebook
Watch our Videos