VJ Books Presents Author Elizabeth Hand!
Elizabeth Hand was born March 29, 1957 and grew up in New York. She studied drama and anthropology at The Catholic University of America. She is the bestselling author of thirteen genre-spanning novels and four collections of short fiction. Her books and short fiction have been translated into numerous languages and have been optioned for film and television.
Her recent, critically acclaimed novels featuring Cass Neary, "one of literature's great noir anti-heroes", GENERATION LOSS, AVAILABLE DARK, and the forthcoming HARD LIGHT, have been compared to those of Patricia Highsmith. With Paul Witcover, Hand created DC Comic's early 1990s cult series ANIMA, whose riot grrl superheroine dealt with homeless teenagers, drug abuse, the AIDS epidemic and racial violence, and featured DC Comics' first openly gay teenager (the series also once guest-starred Conan O'Brien).
Her 1999 play "The Have-Nots" was a finalist in London's Fringe Theater Festival and went on to play at the Battersea Arts Center. She has written numerous novelizations of films, including Terry Gilliam's TWELVE MONKEYS, and a popular series of STAR WARS books for middle grade children.
She is a longtime critic and book reviewer whose work appears regularly in the Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, Salon, the Boston Review, among many others, and writes a regular column for the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.
Hand teaches at the Stonecoast MFA Program in Creative Writing, and recently joined the faculty of the Maine College of Art.
She divides her time between the coast of Maine and North London, and is working on the fourth Cass Neary novel, THE BOOK OF LAMPS AND BANNERS.
Elizabeth Hand Bibliography
Winterlong - 1988
- Aestival Tide - 1992
- Icarus Descending - 1993
- Waking the Moon - 1995
- Glimmering - 1997
- Black Light - 1999
- Mortal Love - 2004
- Chip Crockett's Christmas Carol (illustrated by Judith Clute) - 2000
- Illyria - 2006
- Generation Loss - 2007
- The Bride of Frankenstein - 2007
- Available Dark - 2012
- Radiant Days - 2012
- Wylding Hall (novella) - 2015
- Hard Light - April 2016
- Last Summer at Mars Hill - 1998
- Bibliomancy - 2003
- Saffron and Brimstone: Strange Stories - 2006
- Errantry - 2012
- "Jangletown" (with Paul Witcover; in The Further Adventures of The Joker) - 1990
- "Lucifer Over Lancaster" (with Paul Witcover; in The Further Adventures of Superman) - 1993
- "The Erl-King" - 1994
- "Chip Crockett's Christmas Carol" in Sci Fiction - 2000
- "Cleopatra Brimstone" in Redshift - 2002
- "The Least Trumps" in Conjunctions 39: The New Wave Fabulists - 2003
Star Wars Expanded Universe
- Boba Fett: Maze Of Deception - 2003
- Boba Fett: Hunted - 2003
- Boba Fett: A New Threat - 2004
- Boba Fett: Pursuit - 2004
- 12 Monkeys - 1995
- Millennium: The Frenchman - 1997
- The X-Files: Fight the Future - 1998
- Anna and the King - 1999
- The Affair of the Necklace - 2001
- Catwoman - 2004
Elizabeth Hand Awards
- World Fantasy Award (four times)
- Nebula Award (twice)
- Shirley Jackson Award (twice)
- International Horror Guild Award (three times)
- Mythopoeic Award
- James Tiptree, Jr. Award
Go to top of page