VJ Books Presents Author Jhumpa Lahiri!
Jhumpa Lahiri was born in London, England in 1967, and raised in Kingston, Rhode Island. She graduated from Barnard College of Columbia University with a BA in English Literature, then completed three Masters degrees at Boston University, in English, Creative Writing, and Comparative Literature. While studying there, she also earned a Ph.D. in Renaissance Studies.
Lahiri has taught creative writing at Boston University and the Rhode Island School of Design, and, most recently, Princeton University. She has been a fellow at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, the vice president of the PEN American Center, and a member of the Committee on the Arts and Humanities.
Lahiri's literary career began with short stories, which initially faced rejection from publishers. However, once published, her debut collection, Interpreter of Maladies (1999) won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Her first novel, Namesake was released in 2003, and later adapted into a film of the same name, in which Lahiri also made a cameo appearance. She has since published many more works, fiction and non-fiction, to great acclaim. Her writing often explores the duality of life as an immigrant, drawing upon her own experience, and that of her family.
In 2012, Lahiri and her family moved from New York to Rome, where Lahiri dedicated herself to the mastery of Italian--her third language. She succeeded so brilliantly that she now translates books and currently writes all of her own work in Italian. Lahiri lives with her husband, journalist Alberto Vourvoulias-Bush, and their two children.
Jhumpa Lahiri Bibliography
- The Namesake - 2003
- The Lowland - 2013
- Dove mi trovo / Whereabouts - 2018 (Italian edition) / April 2021 (English translation)
Short Stories and Collections
- Interpreter of Maladies - 1999 (collection)
- Unaccustomed Earth - 2008 (collection)
- "Brotherly Love" - 2013
- "The Boundary" - 2018
- "Casting Shadows" - 2021
- In altre parole / In Other Words - 2015 (Italian edition) / 2016 (English translation)
- Il vestito dei libri / The Clothing of Books - 2016 (both)
Jhumpa Lahiri Awards
- O. Henry Award for Interpreter of Maladies - 1999
- PEN/Hemingway Award (Best Fiction Debut of the Year) for Interpreter of Maladies - 1999
- Best American Short Stories selection for Interpreter of Maladies - 1999
- Addison Metcalf Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters - 2000
- Best American Short Stories selection for "The Third and Final Continent" - 2000
- The New Yorker's Best Debut of the Year for Interpreter of Maladies - 2000
- Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for Interpreter of Maladies - 2000
- James Beard Foundation's M.F.K. Fisher Distinguished Writing Award for "Indian Takeout" published in Food & Wine - 2000
- Best American Short Stories selection for "Nobody's Business" - 2002
- Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award for Unaccustomed Earth - 2008
- Asian American Literary Award for Unaccustomed Earth - 2009
- Premio Gregor von Rezzori for foreign fiction translated into Italian for Unaccustomed Earth (Italian title: Una Nuova Terra) - 2009
- DSC Prize for South Asian Literature for The Lowland - 2014
- National Humanities Medal - 2014
- Pen/Malamud Award - 2017
Go to top of page