VJ Books Presents Author Ken Liu!
Ken Liu is an American author of speculative fiction. He has won the Nebula, Hugo, and World Fantasy awards, as well as top genre honors in Japan, Spain, and France, among other countries.
Liu’s debut novel, The Grace of Kings, is the first volume in a silkpunk epic fantasy series, the Dandelion Dynasty, in which engineers play the role of wizards. His debut collection, The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories, has been published in more than a dozen languages. A second collection, The Hidden Girl and Other Stories, followed. He also penned the Star Wars novel The Legends of Luke Skywalker.
Many of his stories have been adapted for the screen. Recent projects include “The Hidden Girl,” under development by FilmNation Entertainment as a TV series; “The Message,” under development by 21 Laps and FilmNation Entertainment; “Good Hunting,” adapted as an episode in season one of Netflix’s breakout adult animated series Love, Death + Robots; and AMC’s Pantheon, with Craig Silverstein as executive producer, adapted from an interconnected series of short stories by Liu.
Prior to becoming a full-time writer, Liu worked as a software engineer, corporate lawyer, and litigation consultant. He frequently speaks at conferences and universities on a variety of topics, including futurism, cryptocurrency, history of technology, bookmaking, narrative futures, and the mathematics of origami.
Liu is also the translator for Liu Cixin’s The Three-Body Problem, Hao Jingfang’s “Folding Beijing” and Vagabonds, Chen Qiufan’s Waste Tide, as well as the editor of Invisible Planets and Broken Stars, anthologies of contemporary Chinese science fiction.
Liu lives with his family near Boston, Massachusetts.
Ken Liu Bibliography
The Dandelion Dynasty Series
- The Grace of Kings - 2015
- The Wall of Storms - 2016
- The Veiled Throne - 2021
- Speaking Bones - 2022
Apocalypse Triptych Anthology Books
- The End is Night - 2014
- The End is Now - 2014
- The End Has Come - 2015
- The Veiled Shanghai - 2013
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker - 2017
- The Cleaners - 2020
- 2017 Locus Award for Best Collection, winner, The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories
- 2016 Locus Award for Best First Novel, winner, The Grace of Kings
- 2015 Hugo Award for Best Novel, winner, "The Three-Body Problem" by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu
- 2015 Sidewise Award for Alternate History, winner, "The Long Haul: From the Annals of Transportation, The Pacific Monthly, May 2009"
- 2013 Hugo Award for Best Short Story, winner, "Mono no aware"
- 2013 FantLab's Book of the Year Award for best Translated Novella or Short Story, winner, "Mono no aware"
- 2013 FantLab's Book of the Year Award for best On-line publication in Small Form', winner, "The Paper Menagerie"
- 2012 Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards, Short Form winner, translation from the Chinese of "The Fish of Lijiang" by Chen Qiufan
- 2012 World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction, winner, "The Paper Menagerie"
- 2012 Hugo Award for Best Short Story, winner, "The Paper Menagerie"
- 2011 Nebula Award for Best Short Story, winner, "The Paper Menagerie"
Go to top of page