VJ Books Presents Author Kinky Friedman!
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman, born October 31 or November 1, 1944, is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.
Friedman was born in Chicago to Jewish parents, Dr. S. Thomas Friedman and his wife Minnie (Samet) Friedman. The family moved to a ranch in central Texas a few years later. Friedman had an early interest in both music and chess, and was chosen at age 7 as one of 50 local players to challenge U.S. grandmaster Samuel Reshevsky to simultaneous matches in Houston. Reshevsky won all 50 matches, but Friedman was by far the youngest competitor.
Friedman graduated from Austin High School in Austin, Texas in 1962 and earned a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Texas at Austin in 1966, majoring in Psychology. He took part in the Plan II Honors program and was a member of the Tau Delta Phi fraternity. During his freshman year, Chinga Chavin gave Friedman the nickname "Kinky" because of his curly hair.
Friedman served two years in the United States Peace Corps, teaching on Borneo in Malaysia with John Gross. He has been featured in the news including 60 Minutes on CBS and made an appearance as one of Jay Leno's guests. Friedman lives at Echo Hill Ranch, his family's summer camp near Kerrville, Texas. He founded Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch, whose mission is to care for stray, abused and aging animals; more than 1,000 dogs have been saved from animal euthanasia.
Kinky Friedman Bibliography
· Greenwich Killing Time - 1986
· A Case Of Lone Star - 1987
· When The Cat's Away - 1988
· Frequent Flyer - 1989
· Musical Chairs - 1991
· Steppin’ on a Rainbow - 1993
· Elvis, Jesus and Coca-Cola - 1993
· Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover - 1993
· Armadillos and Old Lace - 1994
· God Bless John Wayne - 1995
· The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover - 1996
· Roadkill - 1997
· Blast From The Past - 1998
· Eat, Drink and Be Kinky - 1998
· Spanking Watson - 1999
· Mile High Club, The - 2000
· Steppin’ On a Rainbow - 2001
· Meanwhile Back at the Ranch - 2002
· Kinky Friedman’s Guide to Texas Etiquette - 2002
· Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned - 2003
· Curse of the Missing Puppet Head - 2003
· Prisoner of Vandam Street, The - 2004
· 'Scuse Me While I Whip This Out - 2004
· The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" In Austin - 2004
· Ten Little New Yorkers - 2005
· Texas Hold 'Em: How I Was Born In A Manger, Died In The Saddle, And Came Back As A Horny Toad - 2005
· Cowboy Logic : The Wit And Wisdom Of Kinky Friedman (And Some Of His Friends) - 2006
· The Christmas Pig - 2006
· You Can Lead a Politician to Water, But You Can’t Make Him Think - 2007
· What Would Kinky Do? How to Unscrew a Screwed Up World - 2008
· Ten Little New Yorkers - 2008
· Kinky’s Celebrity Pet Files - 2009