VJ Books Presents Author Sharyn McCrumb!
Sharyn McCrumb was born on February 26, 1948 in in Wilmington, North Carolina. She is a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill, with an M.A. in English from Virginia Tech. McCrumb was the first writer-in-residence at King College in Tennessee.
McCrumb is an award-winning Southern writer, best known for her Appalachian "Ballad" novels, set in the North Carolina/Tennessee mountains. Her books are frequently used in One Community/One Book programs.
In April 2014, Sharyn McCrumb was awarded the Mary Frances Hobson Prize for Southern Literature by North Carolina's Chowan University. Named a "Virginia Woman of History" in 2008 for Achievement in Literature, she was a guest author at the National Festival of the Book in Washington, D.C. sponsored by the White House in 2006.
In 2013, McCrumb was named "Best Mountain Writer" by Blue Ridge Country Magazine.
McCrumb's great-grandfathers were circuit preachers in North Carolina's Smoky Mountains a hundred years ago, riding horseback over the ridges to preach in a different community each week. It is from them, she says, that she gets her regard for books, her gift of storytelling and public speaking, and her love of the Appalachian Mountains.
Sharyn McCrumb Bibliography
If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O - 1990
- The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter - 1992
- She Walks These Hills - 1994
- The Rosewood Casket - 1996
- The Ballad of Frankie Silver - 1998
- The Songcatcher - 2001
- Ghost Riders - 2003
- The Devil Amongst the Lawyers - 2010
- The Ballad of Tom Dooley - 2011
- King's Mountain - 2013
- Prayers the Devil Answers - May 2016
The NASCAR Novels
- St. Dale, Kensington - 2005
- Once Around the Track - 2007
- Faster Pastor - 2010 (with Adam Edwards)
Elizabeth MacPherson Series
- Sick of Shadows - 1984
- Lovely in Her Bones - 1985
- Highland Laddie Gone - 1986
- Paying the Piper - 1988
- The Windsor Knot - 1989
- Missing Susan - 1990
- MacPherson's Lament - 1992
- If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him - 1994
- The PMS Outlaws - 2000
The Jay Omega Series
- Bimbos of the Death Sun - 1986
- Zombies of the Gene Pool - 1992
Short Story Collection
- Foggy Mountain Breakdown - 1997
- Sharyn McCrumb's Appalachia - 2011
Sharyn McCrumb Awards and Honors
- AWA Outstanding Contribution to Appalachian Literature Award
- Chaffin Award for Southern Literature
- Plattner Award for Short Story
- 2005 Writer of the Year at Emory & Henry College
Go to top of page