VJ Books Presents Author Tom Young!
Tom Young (born 1962 in Raleigh, North Carolina) is an American novelist. He is known primarily as the author of the military thrillers. Young served in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars with the West Virginia Air National Guard. Young's military experience inspired his debut novel,
The Mullah's Storm, which garnered positive reviews.
Young received BA and MA degrees in Mass Communications from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and he worked as a writer, editor, and newsroom supervisor for the broadcast division of the Associated Press for ten years.
During his time at AP, Young joined the Air National Guard, where he served as a flight engineer (logging nearly 5000 hours) on the C-130 Hercules and later on the C-5 Galaxy. He has also flown combat missions to Bosnia, Kosovo, Latin America, the horn of Africa, and the Far East. Young retired from the Air National Guard in June 2013.
Since 2010, Young has written a series of military procedurals that dramatize modern combat operations. He previously focused on nonfiction.
Tom Young Bibliography
- The Mullah's Storm (2010)
- Silent Enemy (2011)
- The Renegades (2012)
- The Warriors (2013)
- Sand and Fire (2014)
- Phantom Fury (2014) (short novel published as an e-book)
- The Hunters (July 2015)
- The Speed of Heat: An Airlift Wing at War in Iraq and Afghanistan (2008)
Tom Young Awards and Honors
- The Mullah's Storm - Military Writer's Society of America Gold Medal Award
- Silent Enemy - Military Writer's Society of America Gold Medal Award
- The Renegades - Military Writer's Society of America Gold Medal Award
- Military honors include three Air Medals, three Aerial Achievement Medals, and the Air Force Combat Action Medal.
Go to top of page