VJ Books Presents Author Bruce Alexander Cook (aka Bruce Alexander)!
Bruce Alexander Cook is better know as a writer by his pseudonym Bruce Alexander. He was born in Chicago in 1932 and spent his childhood both there, and in California. He graduated from Loyola University with a bachelor's in English Literature and then worked as a US Army translator in Germany. In the 1960s, he began his career as a journalist in the, first as a media critic and then as a film reporter, before moving into book reviews. During the same period of time, Cook began writing his own books.
Cook's best known work is his 10-book series novels Sir John Fielding, the founder of London's police force, but he has also written many other books, including a biography of Hollywood screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, which was made into a motion picture starring Bryan Cranston in 2015.
Cook spent the latter half of his life living in Los Angles, and died there in 2003. His two final books were published posthumously.
Photo credit: Diane Hypes
Bruce Alexander Cook Bibliography
Sir John Fielding Series
Chico Cervantes Series
- Blind Justice - 1994
- Murder in Grub Street - 1996
- Watery Grave - 1998
- Person or Persons Unknown - 1998
- Jack, Knave and Fool - 1999
- Death of a Colonial - 2000
- The Color of Death - 2001
- Smuggler's Moon - 2002
- An Experiment in Treason - 2003
- The Price of Murder - 2004
- The Rules of Engagement - 2005
- Mexican Standoff - 1988
- Rough Cut - 1990
- Death as a Career Move - 1992
- Sidewalk Hilton - 1994
Go to top of page
- The Beat Generation - 1971
- Listen to the Blues - 1973
- Trumbo - 1977
- Sex Life - 1979
- Brecht in Exile - 1983
- The Town that Country Built - 1993
- Young Will: The Confessions of William Shakespeare - 2004