VJ Books Presents Author Jeffrey Archer!
Jeffrey Archer was born in London, brought up in Somerset, is the son of a printer, and was educated at Wellington School, and Brasenose College, Oxford, where he gained an athletics blue, and was President of the University Athletics Club. He is an international bestselling author, playwright, and charity auctioneer.
After leaving Oxford he was elected to the Greater London Council, and three years later at the age of 29, he became Member of Parliament for Louth. After five years in the Commons and a promising political career ahead of him, he invested heavily in a Canadian company called Aquablast, on the advice of the Bank of Boston. The company went into liquidation, and three directors were later sent to jail for fraud. Left with debts of £427,727, and on the brink of bankruptcy, he resigned from the House of Commons.
Aged 34, determined to repay his creditors in full, he sat down to write his first novel Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less. Written at the home of his former Oxford Principal, it was taken up by the Literary Agent, Debbie Owen, and sold to 17 countries within a year.
Archer was Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party from September 1985 until November 1986. In 1991, he was co-ordinator for the Campaign for Kurdish Relief, and he is also an amateur auctioneer, having raised more than £15 million in the last 10 years. Jeffrey Archer was made a Life Peer in the Queen's Birthday Honours List of 1992.
Having run a successful campaign for Mayor of London for two-and-a-half years, from 1997, Jeffrey Archer was selected as the official Conservative Party Candidate for London's Mayor in October 1999 by an overwhelming majority. In November that same year, he withdrew his candidacy, having been charged with perjury and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. He was sentenced to four years imprisonment, and was released in July 2003, having served two years.
Archer has published three volumes of his Prison Diary; Volume I, Hell, a searing account of his first three weeks in the high security prison, HMP Belmarsh; Volume II, Purgatory, set in HMP Wayland, a C category prison; and the third and final volume, Heaven, about his final transfer to an open prison.
Now published in 97 countries and more than 37 languages, Jeffrey Archer is firmly established, with international sales passing 275 million copies. He is the only author ever to have been a number one bestseller in fiction (nineteen times), short stories (four times) and non-fiction (The Prison Diaries).
Jeffrey has also written an original screenplay about George Mallory, called Paths of Glory, and has also completed the screenplay to his novel, False Impression.
Jeffrey has been married for 50 years to Dame Mary Archer DBE, who last year was appointed Chairman of The Science Museum Group. They have two sons, William and James, and two grandsons, and divide their time between homes in London, Cambridge and Mallorca.
Jeffrey Archer Bibliography
Kane and Abel Series
Kane and Abel - 1980
- The Prodigal Daughter - 1982
- Shall We Tell the President? - 1983
Prison Diaries (non-fiction)
- Hell - Belmarsh - 2002
- Purgatory - Wayland - 2003
- Heaven - North Sea Camp - 2004
- Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less - 1976
- First Among Equals - 1984
- A Matter of Honour - 1986
- As the Crow Flies - 1991
- Honour Among Thieves - 1993
- The Fourth Estate - 1996
- The Eleventh Commandment - 1998
- Sons of Fortune - 2002
- False Impression - 2005
- A Prisoner of Birth - 2008
- Paths of Glory - 2009
The Clifton Chronicles
- Only Time Will Tell - 2011
- The Sins of the Father - 2012
- Best Kept Secret - 2013
- Be Careful What You Wish For - 2014
- Mightier Than the Sword- 2015
- Cometh the Hour - 2016
- This Was a Man - Coming November 2016
- Beyond Reasonable Doubt - 1987
- Exclusive - 1989
- The Accused - 2000
- A Quiver Full of Arrows - 1980
- A Twist in the Tale - 1989
- Fools, Knaves, and Heroes: Great Political Short Stories (editor) - 1991
- Twelve Red Herrings - 1994
- The Collected Short Stories - 1997
- To Cut a Long Story Short - 2000
- Cat O'Nine Tales - 2006
- And Thereby Hangs a Tale - 2010
- The New Collected Short Stories - 2011
- The First Miracle - 1980
- By Royal Appointment - 1980
- Willy Visits the Square World - 1980
- Willy and the Killer Kipper - 1981
Go to top of page