VJ Books Features Author Peter Abrahams (aka Spencer Quinn)!
Peter Abrahams is the New York Times bestselling author of over 30 novels. He also writes under the pen name of Spencer Quinn, most well-known for the Chet and Bernie series.
He began by writing stand-alone novels such as Lights Out, The Fan (filmed by Tony Scott, with a cast including Robert De Niro), Oblivion, and End of Story.
A little later, he also started writing for younger readers, beginning with the Echo Falls series, centered around thirteen-year old Ingrid Levin-Hill.
When his wife suggested that he should write something with dogs, he stumbled on the idea of writing detective novels from the point of view of the gumshoe's dog. The series is known as "The Chet and Bernie" books (Bernie is the detective).
His latest Chet and Bernie book, Itís a Wonderful Woof, is a holiday adventure where Chet the dog and his human partner, PI Bernie Little, investigate the disappearance of fellow private eye Victor Klovsky and his client, someone Bernie had referred to Victor in the first place. No one is better than Chet at nosing out buried secrets, but before he can, he and Bernie are forced to take flight themselves, chased through a Christmas Eve blizzard by a murderous foe who loves art all too much.
Abrahams has won an Edgar Allen Poe award for Reality Check, best young adult mystery, 2010, and an Agatha for Down the Rabbit Hole, best young adult mystery 2006.
Abrahams's mother was also a writer and instilled in him some foundations of writing at a young age. In speaking to Modern Signed Books podcast host Roger Nichols, he says that it was handy to have these foundations like grammar already ingrained in him by the time he got to high school. You can listen to the entire interview with Peter Abrahams below.
Prior to becoming a writer, Abrahams was a spear fisherman in the Bahamas. It started as a summer job, but he enjoyed the experience so much he continued for a time after that. He currently lives on Cape Cod with his wife and dogs Audrey and Pearl. Dogs are a big part of their life and Quinn says that there's no way he could have written the Chet and Bernie books or Bowser and Birdie without them.
You can find a signed copy of Itís a Wonderful Woof and a collection of other Spencer Quinn signed books as well as Peter Abrahams signed books below.
Modern Signed Books Interview:
Peter Abrahams / Spencer Quinn Bibliography
The Fury of Rachel Monette - 1980
- Tongues of Fire - 1982
- Red Message - 1986
- Hard Rain - 1988
- Pressure Drop - 1989
- A Perfect Crime - 1998
- Revolution #9 - 1992
- Lights Out - 1994
- The Fan - 1995
- Crying Wolf - 2000
- Last of The Dixie Heroes - 2001
- The Tutor - 2002
- Their Wildest Dreams - 2003
- Down The Rabbit Hole - 2005
- Oblivion - 2005
- End of Story - 2006
- Behind The Curtain - 2006
- Nerve Damage - 2007
- Delusion - 2008
- Into the Dark - 2008
- Reality Check - 2009
- Bullet Point - 2010
- The Right Side - June 2017
Echo Falls Series
- Down the Rabbit Hole - 2005
- Behind the Curtain - 2006
- Into the Dark - 2008
Chet and Bernie Series (Writing as Spencer Quinn)
- Dog On It - 2009
- Thereby Hangs a Tail - 2010
- To Fetch a Thief - 2010
- The Dog Who Knew Too Much - 2011
- A Fistful of Collars - 2012
- The Sound and the Furry - 2013
- Paw and Order - 2014
- Scents and Sensibility - 2015
- Heart of Barkness - July 2019
- Of Mutts and Men - July 2020
- Tender is the Bite - June 2021
- It's a Wonderful Woof - October 2021
Chet and Bernie Short Stories (Writing as Spencer Quinn)
- A Cat was Involved (e-book) - 2012
- The Iggy Chronicles, Volume One (e-book) - 2013
Outlaws of Sherwood Street Series (Age: 9 - 12 Years)
- The Outlaws of Sherwood Street: Stealing from the Rich - 2013
- The Outlaws of Sherwood Street: Giving to the Poor - 2013
Browser and Birdie Series - (Age: 9 - 12 Years)
- Woof - 2015
- Arf - 2016
- Bow Wow - 2017
Peter Abrahams / Spencer Quinn Awards
- Edgar Allen Poe Award for Reality Check, best young adult mystery, 2010
- Agatha Award for Down the Rabbit Hole, best young adult mystery, 2006
Go to top of page