VJ Books Presents Author Paolo Bacigalupi!
Paolo Bacigalupi's writing has appeared in WIRED Magazine, High Country News, Salon.com, OnEarth Magazine, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. His short fiction been anthologized in various "Year's Best" collections of short science fiction and fantasy, nominated for three Nebula Awards, four Hugo Awards, and won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for best science fiction short story of the year. His short story collection PUMP SIX AND OTHER STORIES was a 2008 Locus Award winner for Best Collection and also named a Best Book of the Year by Publishers Weekly.
His debut novel THE WINDUP GIRL was named by TIME Magazine as one of the ten best novels of 2009, and also won the Hugo, Nebula, Locus, Compton Crook, and John W. Campbell Memorial Awards. Internationally, it has won the Seiun Award (Japan), The Ignotus Award (Spain), The Kurd-La_witz-Preis (Germany), and the Prix PlanŹte-SF des Blogueurs (France).
His debut young adult novel, SHIP BREAKER, was a Micheal L. Printz Award Winner, and a National Book Award Finalist, and its sequel, THE DROWNED CITIES, was a 2012 Kirkus Reviews Best of YA Book, A 2012 VOYA Perfect Ten Book, and 2012 Los Angeles Times Book Prize Finalist.
He has also written ZOMBIE BASEBALL BEATDOWN for middle-grade children, about zombies, baseball, and, of all things, meatpacking plants. Another novel for teens, THE DOUBT FACTORY, a contemporary thriller about public relations and the product defense industry was a both an Edgar Award and Locus Award Finalist.
His latest novel for adults THE WATER KNIFE, a near-future thriller about climate change and drought in the southwestern United States.
He currently lives in Western Colorado with his wife and son, where he is working on a new novel.
Paolo Bacigalupi Selected Bibliography
- The Windup Girl - 2009
- Ship Breaker - 2010
- The Drowned Cities - 2012
- Zombie Baseball Beatdown - 2013
- The Doubt Factory - 2014
The Water Knife - 2015
Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl Awards
2010: Won the Hugo Award for Best Novel
- 2009: Won the Nebula Award for Best Novel
- 2010: Won the John W. Campbell Award
- 2010: Won the Compton Crook Award
- 2010: Won the Locus Award for Best First Novel
- 2012: Won the Seiun Award for Best Foreign Language Novel of the Year (Japan)
- 2013: Won the Grand Prix de l’Imaginaire for Best Foreign Novel (France)
- 2012: Won the Ignotus Award for Best Foreign Novel (Spain)
- 2012: Won the Kurd-Laßwitz-Preis for Best Foreign Novel (Germany)
- 2011: Won the Cena Akademie SFFH Award for Book of the Year (Czech Republic)
- 2011: Won the Cena Akademie SFFH Award for Best Science Fiction (Czech Republic)
Paolo Bacigalupi - Pump Six and Other Stories Awards
2009: Won the Locus Award for Best Collection
- 2009: Won the Locus Award for Best Novelette, for “Pump Six”
- 2010: Won the Cena Akademie SFFH Award for Book of the Year (Czech Republic)
- 2010: Won the Cena Akademie SFFH Award for Best Science Fiction (Czech Republic)
- 2013: Won the Seiun Award for Best Translated Short Story for “Pocketful of Dharma” (Japan)
Paolo Bacigalupi Ship Breaker Awards
2011: Won the Michael L. Printz Award
- 2011: Won the Locus Award For Best Young Adult Book
Paolo Bacigalupi - Awards for Short Stories and other Works
2006: Won the Theodore Sturgeon Award for “The Calorie Man” (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Oct/Nov 2005)
Go to top of page