VJ Books Presents Author Daina Chaviano!
Da’na Chaviano was born in 1957 in Cuba. She is a female fantasy and science fiction writer. In Cuba, she published several science fiction and fantasy books, becoming the most renowned and best-selling author in those genres in Cuban literature. Since leaving the island, she has distinguished herself with a series of novels incorporating historical and more contemporary matters as well as mythological and fantastic elements.
She founded the first literary workshop of science fiction of Latin America and worked as a screenwriter of television programs for children, youth, and adults.
Chaviano has received several international awards, including the Anna Seghers Prize (Berlin Academy of Arts, Germany, 1990); Azor’n Prize for Novel (Spain, 1998); International Goliardos Fantasy Award (Mexico, 2003); Gold Medal for the Best Book in Spanish Language (Florida Book Awards 2006, USA); and Malinalli Prize for the Promotion of the Arts, Human Rights and Cultural Diversity (Mexico, 2014).
Recognized as the most important author of science fiction and fantasy in Cuban literature, her prose moves with equal ease within the traditional narrative. Her literary style fuses historical elements with components of science fiction, fantasy and Gothic literature. Her subjects include mythology, ancient history, sociology, parasicology, eroticism, politics and magic.
Chaviano's works have been described as "bold experiments that break the boundaries between genders. It is as if Ray Bradbury had married Michael Ende and sometimes flirted with Ana•s Nin" (Critics Magazine, USA, January / February 2004).
She has lived in Miami, Florida since 1991.
Daina Chaviano Bibliography
Novels (U.S. Editions)
Island of Eternal Love - 2008
- Los mundos que amo - 1980 (short stories)
- Amoroso planeta - 1983 (short stories)
- Historias de hadas para adultos - 1986 (novellas)
- Fábulas de una abuela extraterrestre - 1988 (novel)
- El abrevadero de los dinosaurios - 1990 (short stories)
- Confesiones eróticas y otros hechizos - 1994
- El hombre, la hembra y el hambre - 1998 (novel)
- Casa de juegos - 1999 (novel)
- Gata encerrada - 2001 (novel)
- País de dragones - 2001 (short stories)
- Fábulas de una abuela extraterrestre - 2003 (novel)
- Los mundos que amo - 2004 (short novel)
- El abrevadero de los dinosaurios - 2005 (short stories)
- La isla de los amores infinitos - 2006 (novel)
- Historias de hadas para adultos - 2007 (novellas)
Daina Chaviano Awards
- 2014: Malinalli National Award 2014 for the Promotion of Arts, Human Rights and Cultural Diversity (Mexico).
- 2010: International Dublin Literary Award IMPAC Longlist.
- 2008: Finalist of the Prix Relay du Roman d'Évasion (France), for L'île des amours éternelles (The Island of Eternal Love).
- 2006: Gold Medal Winner in the Florida Book Awards, for Best Spanish Language Book (USA), for La isla de los amores infinitos (The Island of Eternal Love).
- 2004: Guest of Honor at the 25th Conference held by the International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, Fort Lauderdale (USA).
- 2003: Goliardos Fantasy International Award (Mexico), for Fábulas de una abuela extraterrestre.
- 1998: Azorín Prize for Best Novel (Spain), for El hombre, la hembra y el hambre.
- 1990: Anna Seghers Award, Academy of Arts in Berlin (Germany), for Fábulas de una abuela extraterrestre.
- 1989: "La Edad de Oro" (The Golden Age) National Prize for Children's and Young People's Literature (Cuba), for País de dragones.
- 1988: "13 de marzo", Best Literary Film Script (Cuba), for La anunciación.
- 1979: David National Prize for Best SF Book (Cuba), for Los mundos que amo.
Go to top of page