VJ Books Presents Author Ivan Doig!
Ivan Doig (June 27, 1939 - April 9, 2015) was born in Montana. He was a red-headed only child, son of ranch hand Charlie Doig and ranch cook Berneta Ringer Doig. It was in Doig's junior year of high school (Valier, Montana; his class of 1957 had 21 members) made up his mind to be a writer. His fiction novels are about the American West and he has nine published poems.
Doig is a graduate of Northwestern University where he received bachelor's and master's degrees in journalism. He also holds a Ph.D. in history from the University of Washington. He has worked as a former ranch hand, newpaperman, and magazine editor.
He lived in Seattle with his wife Carol, who has taught the literature of the American West. Ivan Doig died on April 9, 2015.
Ivan Doig Bibliography
The Sea Runners - 1982
- English Creek - 1984
- Dancing at the Rascal Fair - 1987
- Ride with Me, Mariah Montana - 1990
- Riding the Two - 1990
- Heart Earth - 1993
- Bucking the Sun - 1996
- Mountain Time - 1999
- Prairie Nocturne - 2003
- Whistling Season - 2006
- Eleventh Man - 2008
- Work Song - 2010
- Bartender's Tale - 2012
- Sweet Thunder - 2013
- Last Bus to Wisdom - 2015
Ivan Doig Awards
- News: A Consumer's Guide - 1972 (with Carol Doig)
- Streets We Have Come Down: Literature of the City - 1975
- Early Forestry Research: A History of the Pacific Northwest Forest & Range Experiment Station - 1976
- Utopian America: Dreams and Realities -1976
- This House of Sky: Landscapes of a Western Mind - 1978
- Winter Brothers: A Season at the Edge of America - 1980
- Whatcom Places: A Celebration in Words and Photographs with an Introduction by Ivan Doig - 1997
- Wallace Stegner Award - 2007
Go to top of page