VJ Books Presents Author Jonathan Lethem!
Jonathan Lethem was born in 1964 in Brooklyn, New York. He grew up on a commune in Brooklyn and attended the High School of Music and Art in New York, where he painted, published his own zine, dabbled in animation, and wrote an unpublished novel. Following high school he enrolled in Bennington College as an art student, but later dropped out after reaching the conclusion that he wanted to be a writer, not an artist, and that he did not fit in with the affluent student body there.
Lethem pursued a rather different sort of education by hitchhiking a thousand miles from Colorado to California, where he settled for the next 12 years, working in bookstores and writing in his own time. His debut novel Gun, with Occasional Music was published in 1994 and became a finalist for the Nebula Award. After the film rights were optioned, Lethem was able to transition to writing full time.
Lethem has now written nearly a dozen novels, as well as an assortment of short stories and a novella. He also teaches as a professor of English and Creative Writing at Pomona College in Claremont, California.
Jonathan Lethem Bibliography
- Gun, with Occasional Music - 1994
- Amnesia Moon - 1995
- As She Climbed Across the Table - 1997
- Girl in Landscape - 1998
- Motherless Brooklyn - 1999
- The Fortress of Solitude - 2003
- You Don't Love Me Yet - 2007
- Chronic City - 2009
- Dissident Gardens - 2013
- A Gambler's Anatomy - 2016
- The Feral Detective - November 2018
- The Shape We're In - 2000
- The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye - 1996
- Kafka Americana - 1999 (with Carter Scholz)
- Men and Cartoons - 2004
- How We Got Insipid - 2006
- Lucky Alan and Other Stories - 2015
Go to top of page