VJ Books Presents Author Kristin Hannah!
Kristin Hannah is an award-winning and bestselling author of more than 20 novels including Winter Garden, True Colors, and the blockbuster Firefly Lane.
Kristin was born in September 1960 in Southern California and grew up at the beach, making sand castles and playing in the surf. When she was eight years old, her father drove the family to Western Washington which they called home.
After working in a trendy advertising agency, Kristin decided to go to law school. "But you're going to be a writer" are the prophetic words she would never forget from her mother. Kristin was in her third-and final-year of law school and her mom was in the hospital, facing the end of her long battle with cancer. Kristin was shocked to discover that her mother believed she would become a writer. For the next few months, they collaborated on a novel. After her mom's death, she packed up all those bits and pieces of paper and research they'd collected and put them in a box in the back of her closet. Kristin got married and continued practicing law.
Then Kristin found out she was pregnant and was on bed rest for five months. By the time she'd read every book in the house and started asking her husband for cereal boxes to read, she knew she was a goner. That's when her husband reminded her of the book she'd started with her mom. Kristin pulled out the boxes of research material, dusted them off and began writing. By the time their son was born, she'd finished a first draft and found an obsession.
The rejections came, of course, and they stung for a while, but each one really just spurred her to try harder, work more. In 1990, Kristin got "the call," and in that moment, she went from a young mother with a cooler-than-average hobby to a professional writer, and has never looked back. In all the years between then and now, she has never lost her love of, or her enthusiasm for, telling stories. Kristin feels truly blessed to be a wife, a mother, and a writer. Her novel, Firefly Lane, became a runaway bestseller in 2009, a touchstone novel that brought women together.
Kristin Hannah Bibliography
A Handful of Heaven - 1991
- The Enchantment - 1992
- Once in Every Life - 1992
- If You Believe - 1993
- When Lightnings Strikes - 1994
- Waiting for the Moon - 1995
- Home Again - 1996
- On Mystic Lake - 1999
- Angel Falls - 2000
- Summer Island - 2001
- Distant Shores - 2002
- Between Sisters - 2003
- The Things we Do for Love - 2004
- Comfort and Joy - 2005
- Magic Hour - 2006
- Firefly Lane - 2008
- True Colors - 2009
- Winter Garden - 2010
- Night Road - 2011
- Home Front - 2012
- Fly Away - 2013
- The Nightingale - 2015
- On Mystic Lake / Summer Island - 2005
Anthologies in collaboration
- "Liar's Moon" in Harvest Hearts 1993 - (with Joanne Cassity, Sharon Harlow and Rebecca Paisley)
- Of Love and Life 2000 - (with Janice Graham and Philippa Gregory)
- "Liar's Moon" in With Love 2002 (with Jennifer Blake and Linda Lael Miller)
Kristin Hannah Awards
- 1990 - Romance Writers of America - Golden Heart Winner
- 1993 - RT Reviewers Choice Award -- Historical Romantic Adventure
- 1995 - Romance Readers Anonymous Award -- Best All-Around Romance
- 1995 - RT Innovative Historical Romance Award
- 2004 - Romance Writers of America - RITA Award - Best Novel with Strong Romantic Elements
- 2004 - RT Contempory Novel Award
- 2010 - RT Reviewers Choice Award -- Mainstream Fiction
- 2012 - RT Mainstream Award
Go to top of page