VJ Books Presents Author Lee Child!
Lee Child was born in 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a presentation director during British TV's "golden age." During his tenure his company made Brideshead Revisited, The Jewel in the Crown, Prime Suspect, and Cracker. But he was fired in 1995 at the age of 40 as a result of corporate restructuring. Always a voracious reader, he decided to see an opportunity where others might have seen a crisis and bought six dollars' worth of paper and pencils and sat down to write a book, Killing Floor, the first in the Jack Reacher series.
Killing Floor was an immediate success and launched the series which has grown in sales and impact with every new installment. You can find Lee Child signed books below this author biography.
Lee has several homes: an apartment in Manhattan, country houses in England and the south of France, and whatever airplane cabin he happens to be in while traveling between the two. In the US he drives a supercharged Jaguar, which was built in Jaguar's Browns Lane plant, thirty yards from the hospital in which he was born.
Lee spends his spare time reading, listening to music, and watching the Yankees, Aston Villa, or Marseilles soccer. He is married with a grown-up daughter. His brother is novelist Andrew Grant.
Lee Child Bibliography
Jack Reacher Series
Killing Floor - 1997
- Die Trying - 1998
- Tripwire - 1999
- Running Blind: US title/The Visitor: UK title - 2000
- Echo Burning - 2001
- Without Fail - 2002
- Persuader - 2003
- The Enemy - 2004
- One Shot - 2005
- The Hard Way - 2006
- Bad Luck and Trouble - 2007
- Nothing to Lose - 2008
- Gone Tomorrow - 2009
- 61 Hours - Spring 2010
- Worth Dying For - 2010
- The Affair - 2011
- A Wanted Man - 2012
- Never Go Back - 2013
- Personal - 2014
- Make Me - 2015
- Never Go Back: Movie Tie-In Edition - 2016
- Night School - 2016
- No Middle Name - 2017 (includes 11 previously published Reacher stories and a new novella)
- The Midnight Line - 2017
- Past Tense - November 2018 (UK edition released same month)
- Blue Moon - October 2019 (UK edition released same month)
- Better off Dead - 2021
Short Story Anthologies
- Fresh Blood 3 (1999) Lee's story, "James Penney's New Identity", features a pre-Killing Floor Jack Reacher.
- Like a Charm (2004) Serialized novel; Lee wrote Chapter Six: "The Snake Eater by the Numbers".
- The Cocaine Chronicles (2005) Lee's story: "Ten Keys".
- Greatest Hits (2005) Lee's story: "The Greatest Trick of All".
- Thriller (2006) Contains an edited version of "James Penney's New Identity" originally published in Fresh Blood 3.
- MWA Presents Death Do Us Part (2006) Lee's story: "Safe Enough".
- Bloodlines: A Horse Racing Anthology (2006) Lee's story: "The .50 Solution".
- The Best British Mysteries IV (2007) Lee's story: "The Greatest Trick of All".
- The Chopin Manuscript (2007) Audio serialized novel; Lee wrote Chapter 15.
- Killer Year: Stories to Die For (2008) Lee edited but did not contribute a story.
- Guy Walks Into a Bar (June 7, 2009); prequel to Gone Tomorrow includes Reacher, published in The New York Times.
- Phoenix Noir (2009) Lee's story: "Public Transportation".
- The Copper Bracelet (2009) Audio serialized novel; Lee wrote one chapter.
- The Line Up (2010) Lee gives the inside story on Reacher and his origins.
- Watchlist (2010) Print edition of previously audio-only serialized novels
- The Chopin Manuscript (2007) and The Copper Bracelet (2009).
- The Dark End of the Street - 2010 (Lee's story: "Me and Mr. Rafferty")
- Agents of Treachery - 2010 (Lee's story: "Section 7 (a) (Operational)")
- First Thrills - 2010 (edited by Lee)
- The Best American Mystery Stories 2010 (edited by Lee)
- MWA Presents The Rich and the Dead - 2011 (Lee’s story: “Addicted to Sweetness”)
- A Study In Sherlock - 2011 (Lee’s story: “The Bone-Headed League”)
- “Second Son” - 2011 (available as a digital single, in audio or as bonus with US paperback edition of The Affair)
- “James Penney’s New Identity / Guy Walks Into A Bar” - 2011 (available as a digital single in the UK and territories)
- MWA Presents Vengeance - 2012 (Lee edited and contributed an introduction)
- Love is Murder - 2012(Lee’s story: “I Heard a Romantic Story”)
- Esquire - 2012 (Lee’s story “Everyone Talks” features Reacher)
- Deep Down - 2012 (a Reacher prequel story available as a digital single, in audio or as bonus with US paperback edition of A Wanted Man)
- The Marijuana Chronicles - 2013 (Lee’s story: “My First Drug Trial”)
- High Heat - 2013 (a Reacher story available as a digital single, in audio or as bonus with US paperback edition of Never Go Back)
- USA Noir - 2013 (Lee’s story is “Public Transportation”)
- FaceOff - 2014 (with Joseph Finder)
- “Good and Valuable Consideration” which pairs Reacher with Finder’s Heller.
- Not a Drill - 2014 (a Reacher story available as a digital single and in audio)
- Belfast Noir - 2014 (Lee’s story is “Wet with Rain”)
- MWA Presents Manhattan Mayhem - 2015 (Lee’s story: “The Picture of the Lonely Diner”)
- MatchUp - 2017 (edited by Lee Child)
- Cleaning the Gold - 2020 (with Karin Slaughter)
- Jack Reacher’s Rules (US/CA) / Reacher’s Rules (UK and territories) - 2012
- How to Write a Mystery - April 2021
Lee Child Awards
- Killing Floor -1997 Anthony Award for Best First Novel
- Killing Floor - 1997 Barry Award
- Killing Floor - 1997 Japanese Adventure Fiction Association Prize
- Die Trying - 1998 WH Smith Thumping Good Read Award
- The Enemy - 2004 Barry Award
- The Enemy - 2004 Nero Award
- 61 Hours - 2011 Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award
- A Wanted Man - 2012 Specsavers' National Book Award, Thriller & Crime Novel of the Year
- 2013 Cartier Diamond Dagger, lifetime achievement by the Crime Writers' Association
Go to top of page