VJ Books Presents Author Peter May!
Peter May was born and raised in Scotland. He wanted to be a writer even as a young boy. At 17, May was expelled from school and took off to London with a few friends to seek his fortune as a musician. This cold and hungry experience taught him a lot, but unfortunately did not lead to a career in music. Afterwards, he took to journalism, and quickly found success. At 21, he received the Scottish Young Journalist of the Year Award.
May wrote his first novel at 18, followed by another a year later, which he submitted for publication. His submission was unsuccessful, but received positive feedback from editor Philip Ziegler, which encouraged May to continue his efforts. At 26, his novel The Reporter was published. May was asked to adapt the book to television, and this led him to leave journalism and move into a career as a writer/creator and, later, producer. He had over 1000 credits in 15 years, including as producer and co-creator of Machair, which was the first major Gaelic-language television series.
Following this chapter of his career, May turned to writing novels full time. He is best known for his China Thrillers and The Lewis Trilogy, the latter of which was originally published in France after being rejected every major UK publisher, but then went on the achieve international acclaim. May has a remarkable ability to write authentically from within characters bearing little resemblance in background to himself. His novels are thoroughly researched and he makes a point of visiting and making contacts in all of the places where his stories will take place.
May is an honorary member of the Chinese Crime Writers Association, and has been nominated for a slough of awards for his writing in France, the UK, and the US, and has won the Barry Award for Best Novel (USA), among other honors.
May currently lives in France.
Peter May Bibliography
The Lewis Trilogy
The China Thrillers
- The Blackhouse - 2011
- The Lewis Man - 2012
- The Chessmen - 2013
The Enzo Files
- The Firemaker - 1999
- The Fourth Sacrifice - 2000
- The Killing Room - 2001
- Snakehead - 2002
- The Runner - 2003
- Chinese Whispers - 2004
- Extraordinary People (aka Dry Bones) - 2006
- The Critic (aka A Vintage Corpse) - 2007
- Blacklight Blue - 2008
- Freeze Frame - 2010
- Blowback - 2011
- Cast Iron - 2017
- Fallen Hero - 1979
- The Reporter - 1978
- Hidden Faces (aka The Man With No Face) - 1981
- The Noble Path 1992
- Virtually Dead - 2010
- Entry Island - 2013
- Runaway - 2014
- Coffin Road - 2016
- I'll Keep You Safe - March 2018
Peter May Awards
- Fraser Award, Scottish Young Journalist of the Year - 1973
- Prix Intramuros, Cognac, France - 2007
- Prix Des Lecteurs, Le Havre, France - 2010
- Prix Litteraire, Cezam Inter Ce, France - 2011
- Prix Des Lecteurs Du Telegramme, Brest, France - 2012
- Prix Polar International, Cognac, France - 2012
- Prix Des Lecteurs, Le Havre, France - 2012
- Barry Award Best Crime Novel (USA) - 2013
- ITV Specsavers Dagger Award Crime Thriller Club Best Read of the Year (UK) - 2014
- Bloody Scotland Deanston Scottish Crime Novel of the Year - 2014
- Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year (UK) - 2014
Go to top of page