VJ Books Presents Author Robert Crais
Robert Crais was born in Independence, Louisiana in 1953. At fifteen, he read The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler, and so began his fascination with writing, and with Los Angles. He studied Mechanical Engineering at Louisiana State University, but subsequently moved to Hollywood and began working as a screenwriter. He worked on the television series Hill Street Blues, for which he received an Emmy nomination, as well as Miami Vice, Cagney and Lacey, and mini-series Cross of Fire. He has also written many Movies-of-the-Week and pilot episodes.
Frustrated by the limitations of collaborative writing in the television industry, Crais eventually decided to move on to novels. Although he struggled initially, when he finally produced his first novel, The Monkey's Raincoat, it won the Anthony Award for Best First Novel, the Macavity Award for Best Paperback Original, and was nominated for an Edgar Award. The book was also later selected as one of the 100 Favorite Mysteries of the Century by the Independent Mystery Booksellers Association.
Since then, Crais's writing style has continued to evolve, and he now has almost two dozen published titles to his name. His novels have been published in 62 countries and are bestsellers around the world. Among his other accomplishments, Crais has been awarded the Ross Macdonald Literary Award, the Private Eye Writers of America's (PWA) Lifetime Achievement Award, and the Mystery Writers of America's Grand Master Award.
You can find a selection of Robert Crais signed books below this author biography.
Robert Crais currently lives with his wife and cats in the Santa Monica mountains.
Robert Crais Bibliography
Elvis Cole Series
- The Monkey's Raincoat - 1987
- Stalking the Angel - 1989
- Lullaby Town - 1992
- Free Fall - 1993
- Voodoo River - 1995
- Sunset Express - 1996
- Indigo Slam - 1997
- L.A. Requiem - 1999
Elvis Cole and Joe Pike Series
- The Watchman - 2007
- The First Rule - 2010
- The Sentry - 2011
- Taken - 2012
- The Promise - 2015
- The Wanted - December 2017
- A Dangerous Man - August 2019
Scott James and Maggie Series
- Suspect - 2013
- Promise - 2015
- Demolition Angel - 2000
- Hostage - 2001
- The Two Minute Rule - 2006
Robert Crais Awards
- Anthony Award - Best Paperback Original 1988 for The Monkey's Raincoat
Macavity Award - Best First Novel 1988 for The Monkey's Raincoat
- Shamus Award - Best P.I. Novel 1997 for Sunset Express
- Dilys Ward for L.A. Requiem
- Ross Macdonald Literary Award - 2006
- Barry Award - Best Thriller 2008 for The Watchman
- Mystery Ink's Gumshoe Award - Best Thriller 2008 for The Watchman
- Shamus Award - Best Hardcover P.I. Novel 2013 for Taken
- MWA Grand Master Award - Mystery Writers of America - 2014
Go to top of page