VJ Books Presents Author Stephen Hunter!
Stephen Hunter was born March 1946 in Kansas City, Missouri. He graduated from Northwestern in 1968 with a degree in journalism.
Most of Stephen Hunter's novels feature his favorite character, Bob Lee Swagger. Swagger is a retired Marine Gunnery Sergeant who was born in 1946 and raised in Blue Eye Arkansas. Bob Lee joined the Marines, forging a successful career as a Marine Sniper, serving three tours in Vietnam, working with Special Operations, and earned the nickname 'Bob the Nailer' for his uncanny ability with a rifle. Despite official counts crediting him with 87 combat kills, in reality he has killed a total of 391 men.
In 2015's bestseller, I, RIPPER, Hunter turned his attentions to 1888 and Whitechapel, London to follow the mystery of that time and place of Jack the Ripper.
Hunter lives in Baltimore, Maryland.
Stephen Hunter Bibliography
Bob Lee Swagger Series
Point of Impact - 1993
- Black Light - 1996
- Time to Hunt - 1998
- The 47th Samurai - 2007
- Night of Thunder - 2008
- I, Sniper - 2009
- Dead Zero - 2010
- The Third Bullet - 2013
- Sniper's Honor - 2014
- I, Ripper - 2015
- G-Man - May 2017
Ray Cruz Series
- Soft Target - 2011
Earl Swagger Series
- Hot Springs - 2000
- Pale Horse Coming - 2001
- Havana - 2003
- Dead Zero - 2010
- The Master Sniper - 1980
- The Second Saladin - 1982
- Target - film novelization - 1985
- The Spanish Gambit - 1985 (reissued as Tapestry of Spies)
- The Day Before Midnight - 1989
- Dirty White Boys - 1994
- Violent Screen: A Critic's 13 Years on the Front Lines of Movie Mayhem - 1995
- Now Playing at the Valencia : Pulitzer Prize-Winning Essays on Movies - 2005
- American Gunfight : The Plot to Kill Harry Truman and the Shoot-out that Stopped It - 2005
Stephen Hunter Awards
- 1998 - American Society of Newspaper Editors Award for Distinguished Writing in Criticism for his work as film critic at The Washington Post.
- 2013 - Pulitzer Prize for Criticism
Go to top of page