VJ Books Presents Author Alafair Burke!
Alafair Burke was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1969 and raised in Kansas. Her mother, Pearl Pai Chu, was a school librarian, and her father, novelist James Lee Burke, was a professor of English. Her fascination with crime sprang from living in Wichita as a child, during the period of time that the area was being terrorized by the infamous serial killer known as BTK. She earned a bachelors in Psychology from Reed College before going on to study law at Stanford.
After doing an externship at the Portland U.S. Attorney's Office, Burke graduated with distinction and became a judicial clerk with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. She then accepted an appointment as Deputy District Attorney in Portland. She is now a professor of law at Hofstra University School of Law.
Burke published her first novel, Judgement Calls, in 2003, beginning her Samantha Kincaid series. She is also the author of the Ellie Hatcher series, among other novels. Her writing is known for its authenticity, and her novels draw upon her extensive experience dealing with criminal law.
Burke currently lives in New York City with her husband Sean and their dogs.
Alafair Burke Bibliography
Samantha Kincaid Series
- Judgment Calls - 2003
- Missing Justice - 2004
- Close Case - 2005
Ellie Hatcher Series
- Dead Connection - 2007
- Angel's Tip - 2008 (Published in the UK as City of Fear)
- 212 - 2010 (Published in the UK as City of Lies)
- Never Tell - 2012
- All Day and a Night - 2014
The Under Suspicion Series (with Mary Higgins Clark)
- The Cinderella Murder - 2014
- All Dressed in White - 2015
- The Sleeping Beauty Killer - 2016
- Every Breath You Take - 2017
- You Don't Own Me - November 2018
- Long Gone - 2011
- If You Were Here - 2013
- The Ex - 2016
- The Wife - January 2018
- The Better Sister - April 2019
- "Winning" - 2008 (selected for Best American Mystery Stories of 2009)
- "The Mother" - 2012
Go to top of page