VJ Books Presents Author James Lee Burke!
A Note from John: "It is no secret that I am a great fan of Burke's writing Ð to say that his prose is the best is a major understatement. He is simply the master of the written word Ð hands down - no contest."
James Lee Burke was born in Houston, Texas, in 1936 and grew up on the Texas-Louisiana gulf coast. He attended Southwestern Louisiana Institute and later received a B. A. Degree in English and an M. A. from the University of Missouri in 1958 and 1960 respectively. Over the years he worked as a landman for Sinclair Oil Company, pipeliner, land surveyor, newspaper reporter, college English professor, social worker on Skid Row in Los Angeles, clerk for the Louisiana Employment Service, and instructor in the U. S. Job Corps.
He and his wife Pearl met in graduate school and have been married 48 years, they have four children: Jim Jr., an assistant U.S. Attorney; Andree, a school psychologist; Pamala, a T. V. ad producer; and Alafair, a law professor and novelist who has 4 novels out with Henry Holt publishing.
Burke's work has been awarded an Edgar twice for Best Crime Novel of the Year. He has also been a recipient of a Breadloaf and Guggenheim Fellowship and an NEA grant. Two of his novels, Heaven's Prisoners and Two For Texas, have been made into motion pictures. His short stories have been published in The Atlantic Monthly, New Stories from the South, Best American Short Stories, Antioch Review, Southern Review, and The Kenyon Review. His novel The Lost Get-Back Boogie was rejected 111 times over a period of nine years, and upon publication by Louisiana State University press was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.
Today he and his wife live in Missoula, Montana, and New Iberia, Louisiana.
James Lee Burke Bibliography
Dave Robicheaux Series
The Neon Rain - 1987
- Heaven's Prisoners - 1988
- Black Cherry Blues - 1989
- A Morning for Flamingos - 1990
- A Stained White Radiance - 1992
- In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead - 1993
- Dixie City Jam - 1994
- Burning Angel - 1995
- Cadillac Jukebox - 1996
- Sunset Limited - 1998
- Purple Cane Road - 2000
- Jolie Blon's Bounce - 2002
- Last Car to Elysian Fields - 2003
- Crusader's Cross - 2005
- Pegasus Descending - 2006
- The Tin Roof Blowdown - 2007
- Swan Peak - 2008
- The Glass Rainbow - 2010
- Creole Belle - 2012
- Light of the World - 2013
Hackberry Holland Series
- Lay Down My Sword and Shield - 1971
- Rain Gods - 2009
- Feast Day of Fools - 2011
- House of the Rising Sun - 2015
Holland Family Series
- Wayfaring Stranger - 2014
- The Jealous Kind - 2016
Billy Bob Holland Series
- Cimarron Rose - 1997
- Heartwood - 1999
- Bitterroot - 2001
- In the Moon of Red Ponies - 2004
- Half of Paradise - 1965
- To The Bright and Shining Sun - 1970
- Two for Texas - 1982
- The Lost Get-Back Boogie - 1986
- White Doves at Morning - 2002
Short Story Collections
- The Convict - 1985
- Jesus Out to Sea - 2007
James Lee Burke Awards
- 1988 - John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts in Fiction
- 1990 - Mystery Writers of America Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Novel of the year for Black Cherry Blues.
- 1998 - Mystery Writers of America Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Novel of the year for Cimarron Rose
- 2002 - Louisiana Writer Award for Burke's enduring contribution to the "literary intellectual heritage of Louisiana.
- 2009 - Mystery Writers of America Grand Master Award.
Go to top of page