VJ Books Presents Author Tom Clancy!
Thomas Leo "Tom" Clancy, Jr. (April 12, 1947 - October 1, 2013) was an American novelist and historian best known for his technically detailed espionage and military science storylines set during and in the aftermath of the Cold War, and for video games that bear his name for licensing and promotional purposes. Seventeen of his novels were bestsellers, and more than 100 million copies of his books are in print. His name was also a brand for similar movie scripts written by ghost writers and non-fiction books on military subjects.
Clancy's fiction works, The Hunt for Red October (1984), Patriot Games (1987), Clear and Present Danger (1989), and The Sum of All Fears (1991), have been turned into commercially successful films with actors Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, and Ben Affleck as Clancy's most famous fictional character Jack Ryan, while his second most famous character, John Clark, has been played by actors Willem Dafoe and Liev Schreiber. All but two of Clancy's solely written novels feature Jack Ryan or John Clark.
In 2008, the French video game manufacturer Ubisoft purchased the use of Clancy's name for an undisclosed sum. It has been used in conjunction with video games and related products such as movies and books. Based on his interest in private spaceflight and his US$1 million investment in the launch vehicle company Rotary Rocket, Clancy was interviewed in 2007 for the documentary film Orphans of Apollo (2008).
Clancy was a part-owner of the Baltimore Orioles and Vice Chairman of their Community Activities and Public Affairs committees.
Clancy passed away in October 2013. His Jack Ryan series lives on with authors Mark Greaney, Grant Blackwood, and Marc Cameron slated to write future novels in the series.
Tom Clancy Bibliography (Fiction Only)
Jack Ryan Series
John Kelly ("Mr. Clark") Series
Patriot Games - 1987
- The Cardinal of the Kremlin - 1988
- Clear and Present Danger - 1989
- The Sum of All Fears - 1991
- Debt of Honor - 1994
- Executive Orders - 1996
- The Bear and the Dragon - 2000
- Red Rabbit - 2002
- The Teeth of the Tiger - 2003
- Dead or Alive - 2010 (with Grant Blackwood)
- Locked On - 2011 (with Mark Greaney)
- Threat Vector - 2012 (with Mark Greaney)
- Command Authority - 2013 (with Mark Greaney)
- Tom Clancy Support and Defend - 2014 (by Mark Greaney)
- Tom Clancy Full Force and Effect - 2014 (by Mark Greaney)
- Tom Clancy Under Fire - 2015 (by Grant Blackwood)
- Tom Clancy Commander in Chief - 2015 (by Mark Greaney)
- Tom Clancy Duty and Honor - 2016 (by Grant Blackwood)
- Tom Clancy True Faith and Allegiance - 2016 (by Mark Greaney)
- Point of Contact - June 2017 (by Mike Maden)
- Power and Empire - November 2017 (by Marc Cameron)
- Without Remorse - 1993
- Rainbow Six - 1998
Tom Clancy Awards
- Red Storm Rising - 1986
- Against All Enemies - 2011
- Clancy received an honorary doctorate in humane letters and delivered the commencement address at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1992, and has since worked a reference to the school into many of his main works.
- Clancy received the Alfred Thayer Mahan Award for Literary Achievement from the Navy League of the United States in 1990.
Go to top of page