VJ Books Presents Author Terry Pratchett!
Sir Terence David John Pratchett (April 28, 1948 - March 12, 2015) more commonly known as Terry Pratchett, was an English novelist, known for his frequently comical work in the fantasy genre. He was best-known for his popular and long-running Discworld series of comic fantasy novels. Pratchett's first novel, The Carpet People, was published in 1971. You can find Terry Pratchett signed books and a bibliography of his works below this bio.
In 2007, Pratchett was diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer's. In March 2008, he announced he was donating US $1,000,000 (about £494,000 at the time) to the Alzheimer's Research Trust. Of his donation Pratchett said: "I am, along with many others, scrabbling to stay ahead long enough to be there when the Cure comes along."
In 2009, Pratchett was knighted by the Queen of England for his services in literature.
Despite the progress of his illness, Pratchett published his 40th Discworld novel, RAISING STEAM, as well as THE LONG WAR in collaboration with Stephen Baxter, THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD IV with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen, and DODGER'S LONDON.
Terry died peacefully on March 12, 2015 at his home in England, with his family around him and his pet cat asleep on his bed. He had finished one final Discworld novel, THE SHEPHERD'S CROWN, a few months earlier.
Terry Pratchett Bibliography
01 The Colour of Magic (1983)
02 The Light Fantastic (1986)
03 Equal Rites (1987)
04 Mort (1987)
05 Sourcery (1989)
06 Wyrd Sisters (1989)
07 Pyramids (1989)
08 Guards! Guards! (1989)
09 Eric (1990)
10 Moving Pictures (1990)
11 Reaper Man (1991)
12 Witches Abroad (1991)
13 Small Gods (1992)
14 Lords and Ladies (1992)
15 Men at Arms (1993)
16 Soul Music (1994)
17 Interesting Times (1994)
18 Maskerade (1994)
19 Feet of Clay (1996)
20 Hogfather (1996)
21 Jingo (1997)
22 The Last Continent 1998)
23 Carpe Jugulum (1998)
24 The Fifth Elephant (1999)
25 The Truth (2000)
26 Thief of Time (2001)
27 The Last Hero (2001)
28 The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (2001)
29 Night Watch (2002)
30 The Wee Free Men (2003)
31 Monstrous Regiment (2003)
32 A Hat Full of Sky (2004)
33 Going Postal (2004)
34 Thud! (2005)
35 Wintersmith (2006)
36 Making Money (2007)
37 Unseen Academicals (2009)
38 I Shall Wear Midnight (2010)
39 Snuff (2011)
40 Raising Steam (2013)
The Long Earth Series - with Stephen Baxter
- The Long Earth - 2012
- The Long War - 2013
- The Long Mars - 2014
- The Long Utopia - 2015
- The Long Cosmos - June 2016
- The Colour of Magic The Graphic Novel (1992)
- The Light Fantastic The Graphic Novel (1993)
- Mort The Big Comic (1994)
- Guards! Guards! A Discworld Graphic Novel (2000)
- Eric The illustrated Eric (2011)
- The Last Hero (2001)
- The Illustrated Wee Free Men (2008)
- Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic (omnibus) (2008)
- Soul Music: The Illustrated Screenplay (1997)
- Wyrd Sisters: The Illustrated Screenplay (1998)
- Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay (2006)
- Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay (2008)
- The Witches Trilogy (1994)
- Death Trilogy (1998)
- The Colour of Magic / The Light Fantastic (1999)
- The City Watch (1999)
- Rincewind the Wizzard (1999)
- Tales of Discworld (2000)
- Gods Trilogy (2000)
- The Wee Free Men: The Beginning (2010)
- A Blink of the Screen (2012)
- The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories (January 2017)
- Raising Taxes
- Scouting for Trolls
- The Missing Chapter
- Running Water
- Troll Bridge (1992)
- Theatre of Cruelty (1993)
- The Sea and Little Fishes (1998)
- Death and What Comes Next (2002)
- A Collegiate Casting-Out of Devilish Devices (2005)
- We Can Rule You Wholesale (1999)
- Thud - a historical perspective (2002)
- The Minutes of the Meeting To Form The Proposed Ankh-Morpork Federation of Scouts, (2007)
- The Streets of Ankh-Morpork (1993)
- The Discworld Mapp (1995)
- A Tourist Guide to Lancre (1998)
- Death's Domain (1999)
- The Compleat Ankh-Morpork (2012)
- The Discworld Companion (with Stephen Briggs) (1994, 1997)
- The Discworld Companion Updated (with Stephen Briggs) (2001)
- The New Discworld Companion (with Stephen Briggs) (2003)
- Turtle Recall: The Discworld Companion...So Far (with Stephen Briggs) (2012)
- Science of Discworld
- The Science of Discworld (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen) (1999)
- The Science of Discworld II: the Globe (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen) (2002)
- The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen) (2005)
- The Science of Discworld IV: Judgment Day (with Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen) (2013)
- Nanny Ogg's Cookbook (with Stephen Briggs and Tina Hannan) (1999) (2001)
- The Josh Kirby Discworld Portfolio 1993
- The Pratchett Portfolio: A Compendium of Discworld Characters (with Paul Kidby) (1996)
- The Art of Discworld (with Paul Kidby) (2004)
- Where's My Cow? (illustrated spin-off of Thud! ) (2005)
- The Unseen University Cut-out Book (with Bernard Pearson and Alan Batley) (2006)
- The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (with Stephen Briggs) (2007)
- The Folklore of Discworld (with Dr. Jacqueline Simpson) (2008)
- The World of Poo (illustrated spin-off of Snuff) (2012)
- Wintersmith - musical version - the story of Wintersmith retold using English folk-music, provided by a house-band Nanny Ogg would have not only loved but would have wanted to sing with - Steeleye Span.
- The Long Earth (co-written with Stephen Baxter) (2012)
Awards (Partial List)
2012 - Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize
2004 - Honorary LittD from the University of Bristol (Britian).
2001 - CILIP [Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals] Carnegie Medal.
2000 - The Bookseller Services to Bookselling Award (Britain).
1996 - Smarties Prize Silver Award (9-11 age category).
SFX Award, Best SF/Fantasy Author.
SFX Hall of Fame For Contributions to SF Literature.
SFX Award, Worst-dressed Person in SF.
1993 - BCA Science Fiction Award (Britain).
Children's Author of the Year (shortlisted only).
Writers Guild Award (Children's Books).
1992 - Author of the Year (shortlisted only).
1991 - Author of the Year (shortlisted only).
Go to top of page