You are here: Home > Resources > Ask John! > Book Features > What is a "rough cut" book binding?
Dear John:

What is a "rough cut" binding?
D. Pelton (Lookout Mountain Bookstore)
John replies:
"Rough cut" is also known as "deckled edged" - the pages of the book are not smooth, but have a more "antiquarian" look and feel. See John's response to a similar question here.
Here's an example of "deckle edge" paper
Ask John at: [email protected]

Read articles about book collecting
Read John's answers to book collecting questions
Receive our Book Collecting PDFs and newsletters

Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Facebook
Watch our Videos